Gluten Free Orange Cake with Whipped Cream
I was out with a few friends today and after about 2 hours of walking streets we decided to call into the local cafe.
As per usual everyone ordered a cappuccino, except me. I was strictly on a no coffee diet which i must admit is really hard when
you smell the whiffs of fragrant coffee swirling your way enticing your taste buds.
A couple of other friends joined us and they ordered a cappuccino and a mocha along with orange cake. It actually look o good that i decided to take the recipe
and make it up for you. This is a little more involved so doesn’t really come under the category easy dessert recipes but i wanted to try it anyway.
Let me know what you think.
2 fresh oranges
250 grams of caster sugar
6 fresh free range eggs
250 grams of almond meal
1 teaspoon of baking powder
icing sugar intended for dusting in the end
1 small to medium tub of mascarpone cheese
zest of 1 fresh orange
few almonds, crushed for sprinkling
1. Carefully wash the fresh oranges and then cook in some hot water for about 2 hours. Carefully drain and then allow the cooked oranges to cool down prior to pureeing them using a mixer. They’re pureed, along with the skin, the pips and all. This may be carried out in advance.
2. Pre-heat the stove to 160 degrees centigrade. Carefully butter a 20 cm cake tin and then dust it with a bit of caster sugar.
3. Put the free range eggs along with the 250 gm of caster sugar into a medium sized mixing bowl and then beat very well. Mix in the pureed orange as well as the almond meal and also the baking powder.
4. Carefully pour into the buttered cake tin and then dust the top with a little more caster sugar so as to give the orange cake a gorgeous golden crust.
5. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours, till the top is a golden brown color. Dust using a little icing sugar.
6. Combine the mascarpone cheese together with the orange zest and then top it all over the cake to serve.Distribute a few almonds so as to give a little crunch. You could also include a touch of orange liqueur with the cheese to provide additional depth. Add a dash of whipped cream.